Honoring the Sikhs
By Robby Stern
PSARA members attended a moving memorial at the Sikh Gurdwara (temple) in Renton August 11, to honor the Sikhs and police officer who were murdered and wounded in the racist armed attack in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. An estimated 1,000 people attended, including mourning members of the Sikh community, from whom we learned something about the history and content of the Sikh religion and the history of the Sikh community in the Puget Sound region. Public officials, including Senator Maria Cantwell, expressed their sympathy and support. An emotionally-charged candlelight vigil was held, surrounding the pond in front of the Gurdwara.
We all understood in a deep way that no matter who is targeted, such attacks are attacks on our entire community. We will stand shoulder to shoulder as a community to express our abhorrence of these acts of hatred. It was uplifting to comfort the Sikh community and to feel their gratitude as we stood with them in this hour of mourning and remembrance.
PSARA Gets Active for Marriage Equality
PSARA does not endorse candidates but we do support or oppose ballot issues. Our PSARA Executive Board has determined that PSARA will staff the Yes on R – 74, Marriage Equality Referendum phone banks a couple of evenings this fall.
We will staff the R – 74 phone banks on Wednesday, September 19 and Wednesday, October 17. The phone bank location is UFCW 21, 5030 1st AV South in Seattle and the hours are 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
PSARA members unable to come to UFCW 21 on those dates will be able to make phone calls from home those two evenings, using a list provided by the Yes on R-74 campaign. The campaign will train you, whether you are at the phone bank location (preferred) or phone banking from your home phone.
We can be the first state in the country to pass voter-approved marriage equality! To participate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office, (206) 448-9646.
Other Campaign Opportunities
Organizations with whom PSARA is affiliated are sponsoring door-to-door election-year walks and phone banks. Here’s information for our members. The Washington State Labor Council is coordinating campaign walks and phone banks for the Governor’s race and the Attorney General’s race. PSARA members are invited to participate. The walks and/or phone banks are targeted to union members, retired union members and their families. Here’s the information for Puget Sound counties:
- 9:30A.M.- 3 P.M. (9:30 a.m. snacks/training/pair up, 10:30 a.m. first knock, 2:30 p.m. last knock and a barbecue)
- King County: contact Max Price (206) 962-3161
- Saturday, September 15, Auburn, Intl. Association of Machinists 751Hall, 201 A Street SW
- Saturday, Oct. 20, Renton, Plumbers & Pipefitters Hall, 595 Monster Rd.
- Pierce County: Contact Nathe Lawver (253) 973-3765
- Saturday, September 15, Tacoma IBEW 76 Hall, 3049 S 36th
- Saturday, October 13, Tacoma IBEW 76 Hall, 3049 S. 36th
- Snohomish: Contact Michele Stelovich (360) 303-8410
- Saturday, September 22, Everett Labor Temple, 2800 Lombard
- Saturday, October 20, Everett Labor Temple, 2800 Lombard
- Thurston, Lewis, Mason: Contact Kay Halpain, (509) 869-0366
- Saturday, September 29, Olympia WSLC/WFSE. 906 S. Columbia
- Saturday, October 13, Olympia WSLC/WFSE, 906 S. Columbia
- Whatcom, Skagit: Contact Michele Stelovich, (360) 303-8410
- Saturday, October 6, Mount Vernon Steelworkers Hall, 47 Alder Lane
Members in other parts of the state. Call the PSARA office (206) 448-9646 or email email@example.com, for information about walks in your area.
Labor-sponsored phone banks are scheduled in all areas of the state. The contacts for these phone banks are:
- Benton & Franklin Counties: Rigo Rivas ((509) 396-4911
- Clark & Cowlitz Counties: Judy Kuchel (360) 600-9645
- King County: Max Price (206) 962-3161
- Pierce County: Nathe Lawver: (253) 973-3765
- Snohomish County: Michele Stelovich (360) 303-8410
- Spokane County: Beth Thew (509) 939-0688
- Thurston, Lewis, Mason Counties: Kay Halpain (509) 869-0366
- Whatcom, Skagit Counties: Michele Stelovich (360) 303-8410
PHONE BANKING SENIORS:
To phone bank seniors exclusively and during the day, Washington Community Action Network, with whom PSARA is affiliated, is sponsoring phone banks targeted to the Governor’s race and focusing on home care and long term care issues. The phone banks begin October 17 and will operate on weekdays with shifts from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2- 6 p.m.
Most of the phone banking will occur at the offices of SEIU Healthcare 775, 33615 First Way, #A, Federal Way, WA.There will be four shifts at the offices of UFCW 21, 5030 1st Avenue, Seattle: 9 a.m – 1 p.m. shifts on October 25 and November 1, and 2 – 6 p.m. shifts on October 26 and November 2. Contact for these phone banks: Susie Levy, (206) 805-6676.
I hope PSARA members will find a way to participate in the November election.